Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I CAN cook!

Last night I hosted a monthly book club meeting at my house. The book we read was Charms for the Easy Life, by Kaye Gibbons. It was a wonderful book, by the way, I recommend it!

Anyway, I decided to try Greek food for dinner - I chose two recipes off the Internet, spent a bunch of money on the ingredients plus other things to eat and went to town. It turned out really well! I made Tzatziki - which is a yogurt, cucumber and garlic dip - YUM! And then I made Kotopoulo me Ouzo and Lahanika - Chicken with Ouzo (I substituted Jagermeister so I could just buy a small bottle - it's a licorice liqueur) and vegetables...It was easy and amazingly yummy (I am not much for licorice, but it doesn't taste licoricey)...our store has an olive bar with great olives and roasted tomatoes and cabbage leaf wrapped rice (can't remember the name) and mozzarella balls and other great foods - I chose a bunch of the Greek ones - then I bought two kinds of hummus, pita bread that I heated up, Greek salad from the deli and crackers...everything turned out very good - lots of compliments - those that know me well know that I am intimidated when it comes to cooking and don't try things much as I'm afraid of screwing up....

We ate in our backyard in the shade and it was lovely - 75-80 degrees tops and no wind.........we shared a bottle of wine while eating - just a truly great ladies night! I'm saving these recipes and making them again!!!

Oh and I wanted to share this layout of my dad running Bloomsday Race in Spokane many years ago - my mom gave me the pic after they took down some old framed photos - it was 11x17 so I cut it to fit a 12x12 page.....I put a metal frame around him so he was easy to spot. I painted the edge of the transparency to bring more attention to the title. Not much else I could add to this!

3 comments:

  1. Yummm! The dinner sounds just wonderful. And I LOVE the LO, Diana! What an incredible shot of your dad in the race. Love how you used the frame to focus on him. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl, cooking and scrapping. You rawk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana, your dinner sounds yummy! I really like how you did this layout too, how cool that your dad ran that race!! Great idea to focus him with that frame!

    Smiles,
    Cricket

    ReplyDelete