Thursday, November 09, 2006

Long Weekend! Veteran's Day

Thank goodness for long weekends! It's been stressful as we find gaps in our days or nights to do report cards and prep for conferences next week.....first trimester is always hardest as we have to set up the report cards for our class for the year. I will have some happy kids and sad kids; I always try to remember the impact my words will have on them, now and in the future. It is a big responsibility.

Haven't been able to scrapbook of course, but with Veteran's Day being honored tomorrow, I thought I'd share some of my favorite pictures from our DC trip this spring. One I shared before (I cropped it a little differently this time)from The Wall and then another one from one of the other beautiful war memorials there. What impressed me is the quiet and respect shown by most of the tourists there. People fuss about how tacky American tourists can be (as well as others), but everyone was very respectful and knew just really what they were looking at and what it represented.



We had a nice assembly at school today - when our kids sing I just wanna tear up! Several of my students were in the choir and they did a good job. Any veteran in the audience was invited to stand up and speak and we had people from all different generations and services speak. I think for the kids to see these people helps them to understand more about how we should value those who serve the country. Few of my students have family who have served, so I try to share a little of what I've learned from being the daughter of a Vietnam Vet and married to a man who was in the Gulf with the Navy when the first war there broke out.

So my last Jungle challenge got a few friends sharing scrapbook pages...so this time I challenge my buddies out there to share photos that either relate to Veterans Day or American pride - or just meaningful...

Happy Veteran's Day! Enjoy the video at the bottom.......

2 comments:

  1. Diana these photos are so touching! I can only imagine what your must have felt as you stood in front of these walls!
    I love the addition of the video....very fitting and touching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, great pics. That's one place I'd like to take Mandi to see...what can I say about Toby!! Awesome song, great video and a perfect choice!

    Smiles,
    Cricket :0)

    ReplyDelete